Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Greatness? Yeah, Baby!

"Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God; your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone, and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
- Marianne Williamson

I saw this quote in my friend Kim Collins' blog: www.doulamomma.blogspot.com this morning. I've seen it a number of times since I first heard it in my late 20's. I remember it shocked me and I could feel the welling of tears in my eyes when I let it sink in. I've got power beyond measure? That's what I'm afraid of? My purpose is to express that power and let my own light shine and perhaps inspire others to do the same?

Looking back, it is very clear to me that, in fact, I was terrified to express my power and yet was trying in earnest to figure out who I was and what I was supposed to be doing here. I just didn't want to cause anyone else any discomfort in that process. I didn't want to rock the boat. "Maybe I'll just be quietly great over in this corner where noone will notice and feel threatened" I would think. It took me more than 15 years to come to the conclusion that part of being great and expressing my power was letting go of the fear of threatening others.

Now, as I create and build upon my business of sharing tools and supporting other women in the process of becoming awake and more conscious in their day-to-day lives, this quote rings true to me. Yes, that is the fear. I hear it and see it over and over again. I experienced and continue to experience it for myself. But, one of the biggest payoffs of letting your power through is watching other's get inspired to do the same. It is so worth facing the fear and realizing that the fear is the illusion.

Give it a try. What's stopping you from being great and in your power? What are you afraid of? Are you violating a rule in your family? Is this a taboo for you to do things differently than generations of other women? What do you think would happen if you started to consider that your life could be great? Go through the "what ifs" until you have exhausted them. Where do they lead? Then, try a different set of "what ifs"- that is, "what if I decided to act with more power and my kids think it's great?" and then "What if I get offered this great opportunity and I take it?" etc. Decide what scenarios suit you best and then focus on them. If the others start happening, consider that you may be able to handle it and it will lead to better things. Let me know how it goes! Leave a comment...

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled into your blog, and immediately this post resonated with me. Thank you so much! A close friend and I have been discussing our desire to write but our fears about time, motherhood, and life getting in the way, and when I read this I was reminded, immediately, that we were preventing our greatness. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristina! There is a saying "Do not ask what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive,and then do it. What the world needs is more people to come alive." Not sure who said that, but it is in keeping with your statement about preventing our greatness.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments. Please leave your contact info rita.desnoyers@gmail.com if you would like me to reply to your comment. Thanks! Rita