Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We're Having a Heat Wave!

This week on the east coast, and I suppose in other areas, there's been a heat wave.  We were dripping to begin with and then suddenly, all the electricity went out.  It was the entire town and parts of the state.  

I immediately started problem solving.  We'd fill up the baby pool, get out the popsicles and make a party of it. Everyone will have fun.  We'll get away from the TV and computer and get some real QT in.  Then, things did not go exactly as planned.  Crankiness ensued.  Increased sweatiness.  Complaints started.  I spoke with my husband for no other reason other to let him know that we were suffering although it was in the guise of helping him think of strategies in case of train delays.  

Then my cell phone stopped working.  My incredible au pair tried her cell and it worked.  She recommended calling my husband again.  I thought it was not a good idea- what's the use of telling him what's going on if he could do nothing about it?  I didn't want to go "into my story", but accept the situation and find solutions.  My au pair nudged me to call.  With her prodding,  I called not knowing what to expect from the call.  My husband wisely suggested that we call my brother, who is 20 minutes away, and go there to hang out and get cool.  It never occurred to me to call him and ask for help. 

 I called him and of course, he welcomed us.  It was awesome!  Cool air, fresh food, a ping pong table!   The kids came alive and my brother and sister-in-law had some excitement that night.  

I learned some valuable lessons.  Ask for help when you need it.  We have an abundance of resources at our fingertips if we know where to look.  We know where to look, if we are open to all possibilities.  We are open to all possibilities if we don't judge the moment.   When you get a nudge, whether from yourself or someone else, seriously consider acting on it, even if you don't understand what it is about at the moment.  Chances are that it will become clearer with time. 

Our au pair, my husband, and my brother and sister-in-law were my guardian angels last night.  Who are yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments. Please leave your contact info rita.desnoyers@gmail.com if you would like me to reply to your comment. Thanks! Rita