Friday, March 6, 2009

Getting the Opportunity

I was channel-surfing the other night and stopped on Evan Almighty. Steve Carrell plays a congressman who is told by God, played by Morgan Freeman (of course), to build an ark because there is going to be a big flood. Sound familiar?

There was one moment in the film where Morgan (God), who is posing as a waiter in a restaurant, has a conversation with the confused wife of Steve Carrell. He says to her that she has an opportunity in this relationship. He states that when people pray to God for patience, they don't get patience. They do get an opportunity to be patient. I loved that!

I felt that this notion of having opportunities for becoming what we think we don't have or what we need really resonated with me. It comes down to this. We have and are everything! I mean everything. The Universe is contained inside us, just as we are part of the Universe.

We forget that. We don't believe it. We confirm our disbelief whenever we look outside ourselves for something that we think we don't have already. So, our relationships, so perfectly, provide us with opportunities to experience and be what we think we don't have.

I took Morgan (God) at his word and applied this idea to my life. When I was feeling impatient with my kids, I began to look for opportunities to be patient. They were certainly there, instantly. I took advantage of the opportunities at some times and not at others. When I did not take advantage, I found patience within myself for myself.

So, consider trying this at home: Think of what you are needing or wanting in your life. Is it peace, security, love, abundance, passion, patience? Whatever it is, see if you can see the opportunities to be those things with yourself and others. What happens? Let me know....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments. Please leave your contact info rita.desnoyers@gmail.com if you would like me to reply to your comment. Thanks! Rita