Monday, January 19, 2009

Is Your Egg Cracking?

The other day my 6 year old daughter proposed playing a powerful game with me. She said that she wanted me to pretend to be the "mommie spider" and she was my spider egg. She sat, all curled up, on my lap. She said that I loved my egg so much. Then the egg starts to crack and I get scared that I'm losing it. Finally, I see that inside this egg is a baby spider. I am elated to see that I now I have something even better.

Now, the reason I thought this was a powerful game was because it felt like a metaphor for what so often happens in our lives. We have our "eggs" in life. We focus on them and nurture them and love them. We become very attached. Until one day, the eggs start to crack. We start to worry or even panic, because our eggs are breaking. Things are changing drastically and we don't know what will happen. Our lives are falling apart. But, the Universe knows something that we don't. There is a baby spider inside that egg. The egg needs to crack for the baby to come out and show itself.

So, when things start to fall apart or change or crack I'm not so afraid. Sometimes, when I'm feeling more connected, I even get excited. What will come of this cracking? What little baby spider will emerge from this breaking up? There's nothing to do, but watch, stay alert, and be open to what is.

Anything cracking or breaking apart in your life right now? Are you worried about the unknown future? You will be able to handle what ever happens. In fact, all you have to do is stay connected and stay alert. The rest will be shown to you. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. (Although did it have to be a spider? Please, when my eggs crack, please, please let a little chicken come out instead of a spider! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was waaay cool. I'm hatching eggs right now. And I'm struggling to give myself permission to allow them to change and the 'future' to emerge.

    I love the imagery.

    Please thank your daughter for me.

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments. Please leave your contact info rita.desnoyers@gmail.com if you would like me to reply to your comment. Thanks! Rita