Thursday, December 4, 2008

Letting Go Allows For More

I recently had a powerful experience in letting go of a person that was not quite right for me. I was looking for a person or group to receive and give support for a specific project that we would be doing each on our own. This person would be a sounding board, encourager, challenger, prodder and then we'd switch roles and I would be the same for him/her.

So, I sent out my request and received an email back fairly quickly. I eagerly called him back and almost immediately got a "hit" inside that this was not the right person. There was a part of me, the habitual part, that wanted to keep trying to make it work. Even to the extent of making this relationship another project. Maybe if I get to know this person more, I'll discover something really neat that will make it all worth while. Maybe he just needs more time for me to get to know him. Now, there was nothing wrong with this person, but he was not the right person for me to work with. I held on to that notion of me fixing him to suit me for a while and at the same time, the "hit" kept coming. "Do not settle." "Let him go." "Don't worry about finding someone else."

A tug-o-war was ensuing inside me. I was afraid to let go because I feared I would hurt his feelings, that I wouldn't find anyone else, and he possessed some expertise that I was looking for a partner. I was trying to convince myself that perhaps it was a sign that this person was the right one despite my feelings screaming "this doesn't feel good!"

So, I dropped it all. I decided to take the risk of not holding on and follow my feelings. I had to come back to the basics of following my feelings. If it doesn't feel good and I'm not happy, I'm not going forward. I ended up writing an email to him and despite my ego telling me he'd be hurt deeply, he seemed pretty OK. I was not settling. I'll wait.

And literally, the moment after I sent that email, another popped into my inbox. It was another person answering my request. I called her immediately and we chatted. It felt good. It felt right. And we started the support group for the project.

So, here's an experiment to try: Are you holding on to anything or anyone for any reason besides that it feels right and good to you? Why are you holding on? What are your fears/concerns of letting go? If you thought it was possible to receive a new and perhaps better fitting thing or person into your life (including yourself), would you consider letting go? Remember that letting go is a great way to free you up to see more possibilities than you could even imagine...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments. Please leave your contact info rita.desnoyers@gmail.com if you would like me to reply to your comment. Thanks! Rita