Friday, October 17, 2008

I am a Human Being, not a Human Doing...

Most of us are great "doers".  We work hard, do errands, run around with our kids, and then often sit down and think "what should I do now?"  The "doing" mentality is part and parcel of our society.  "Just do it", "What do you do?", and "I'm doing great!" are common questions and phrases in our lives.  We are programmed to think that by doing, we are earning our keep, keeping up with the Jones, and retaining our worth.

What happened to "being"?  We are here to be, not to do.  I know that may sound strange or counterintuitive, or dangerous, but it is true.  At least to me it is.  If I get caught up in the doing of life and then attach a meaning to it, I get in a heap of trouble.  I can do myself right into a hole.  And then, I go back to the basics.  I just "be" more.  I experience life around me.  I slow down a little.  I perhaps meditate, connect with my inner being.  

Of course, in the beginning, there is some resistance.  There are stories that we tell ourselves about the need to do.  "This must be done!" "I don't have time to sit, I have to get this list of stuff done today!" You know the rest.  But, with time, the non-doing gets a little easier and feels a little more comfortable.  And before you know it, you realize that you are not doing life, you are life.  And that's all you need...really.

But, don't take my word for it.  Try it out.  Take a little time to just be.  Resist the temptation to push away the being for the doing.  Even if it is just for a few moments.  Observe the sounds and smells around you.  Observe your thoughts and feelings.  And let us know what happened when you just are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments. Please leave your contact info rita.desnoyers@gmail.com if you would like me to reply to your comment. Thanks! Rita