Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Life on Wire

I saw Man on Wire this past weekend. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It is the true story of the famous high wire crossing between the North and South World Trade Center Towers in NYC by Phillipe Petitt. I remember it happening and hearing that the performer got arrested immediately afterward. As a child, I couldn't understand why they would arrest someone for doing such a miraculous, incredible act. My parents tried to explain that it was highly dangerous and someone could have gotten hurt or killed. My brain said "But, no one did get hurt and it was spectacular..."

As an adult watching this documentary and the six years of planning and replanning, and practicing, and traveling, and talking about Phillipe's dream, I gained a new focus about what's important about this event. It is a story about manifesting your dreams- even dreams that seem completely crazy and impossible. Even dreams that seem like they could kill you or destroy your life in some way if they do not work out the way you want.

Phillipe seems to have access to a part of himself that we all have, but most of us dare not go. His soul calls him and he must follow. He is obedient to his passions because he knows that following his dreams is the secret of living a full life. He follows even in the face of death and sees death in pursuit of his dreams as the only way to go.

He also inspired all the people he needed to make his dream come true. Those who helped him seemed to almost put their own lives on hold to plan with him. It was as if his soul was breathing life into theirs. They had little explanation for their devotion- some for the adventure, some for the inspiration, and others had no idea. Once again, when you have a strong enough belief for something, people appear to help you.

I started to think about my own life. Am I dreaming big enough? Am I living my life on wire? Am I doubting my course or am I strong in my belief? Am I afraid to take that step out beyond the safety zone or do I feel I must move forward with my dreams? I challenge you to ask these questions. I challenge you to watch Man on Wire and have it inspire you to step out a little at a time in between the buildings...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments. Please leave your contact info rita.desnoyers@gmail.com if you would like me to reply to your comment. Thanks! Rita